Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Tulane's Kenny Welcome sang the national anthem Saturday (Video)




Tulane's played at home in its final game of the season on Saturday, and for Senior Day, DT Kenny Welcome sang the national anthem.


How did Welcome get picked for the job? Well, he sang "Isn't She Lovely" in an audition to Tulane's marketing department.


From NOLA.com:



Welcome has done weddings, funerals, and he has belted out most of his harmony at First Street United Methodist Church but this will be the first sporting event.




"I've always joked around about it as far as my whole time in college," Welcome said. "I know my mom always wanted me to sing it. I sang a snippet of it on the ESPN Access when we did a tour of the stadium, and after that, all the people were interested in me singing."



Welcome, a redshirt senior, played in all of Tulane's 12 games this season and had one tackle. His voice has the approval of his coach Curtis Johnson, however. And our approval too. Welcome is really good.


"He can sing. It's funny. I listen to Luther Vandross a lot and I try to serenade my wife and it only works about half the time," Johnson said. "But I listen to him and, golly, he sounds like Luther. He can really, really sing. I'm impressed and it's hard to impress me."


Tulane lost to Temple 10-3 on Saturday. The Green Wave finish the season 3-9.


- - - - - - -


Nick Bromberg is the assistant editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at nickbromberg@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter!


Follow @NickBromberg


From Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo Sports - Tulane's Kenny Welcome sang the national anthem Saturday (Video)


No comments:

Post a Comment

College Stuff for Real Men - Recent Posts