Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Hawaii broadcaster apologizes for Fresno State comment



A broadcaster for Hawaii apologized for a comment he made near the end of the broadcast of Hawaii's game against Fresno State on Saturday night.


The game, at Fresno State, was broadcast on Oceanic Sports and the play-by-play broadcaster was Robert Kekaula, a broadcaster for Hawaii since 2011. As he was signing off, Kekaula said "Good night from the armpit of America."


After finding out about Kekaula's comment, Fresno State contacted Oceanic Sports and Kekaula wrote an apology letter to the school and said he was making a joke with a statistician.


From the Fresno Bee:



“No excuses, that was wrong of me to say,” Kekaula said. “I’d like to offer my sincerest apologies to all of Bulldog Nation, to Fresno State President Joseph Castro, head football coach Tim DeRuyter and the always hospitable people of Fresno.




“There is no excuse for my action, and no defense I could make for what I uttered. I did mention in our broadcast, and have always felt, that Fresno State is, by a long shot, both the best and toughest place to play football in the Mountain West Conference. The fans at Bulldog Stadium are awesome. ...




“Nonetheless, my actions and my words, no matter the intent, were wrong. I offended some people, and to them … to all really … I’m sorry. Please accept my sincere apology.”



Hawaii lost the game 28-21 to drop to 4-9 on the season.


Entering the game, there was a scenario where Hawaii could have won a three-way tie at 4-4 atop the West Division of the Mountain West if the Warriors beat Fresno State and UNLV beat Nevada. Neither of those things happened, and Fresno State will play Boise State Saturday night for the MWC title.


- - - - - - -


Nick Bromberg is the assistant editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at nickbromberg@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter!


Follow @NickBromberg


From Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo Sports - Hawaii broadcaster apologizes for Fresno State comment


No comments:

Post a Comment

College Stuff for Real Men - Recent Posts