Saturday, August 2, 2014

Maryland junior wideout Nigel King opts to transfer



A member of Maryland’s deep receiving unit has decided to transfer.


Junior Nigel King, who started 10 games for the Terps in 2013, has been granted a release from his scholarship and will transfer elsewhere, according to the Baltimore Sun. The 6-foot-3, 210-pound King caught 33 passes for 450 yards and a team-leading four touchdowns last season, but entered preseason camp in a backup role behind Deon Long and Marcus Leak, as well as standout slot receiver Stefon Diggs.


King has already earned his degree from Maryland, so he will be able to play immediately with two years of eligibility remaining if he were to transfer to another FBS school via the NCAA graduate transfer rule.


“I would like to thank all of my coaches, teammates and the rest of the athletic department staff for their support during my time at the University of Maryland,” King said in a statement. “I was able to fulfill my goals of playing college football and, most importantly, earning my degree.


“After talking with my family, I think it is in my best interest to pursue a new opportunity. I wish all my teammates and coaches the very best this upcoming season.”


After redshirting in his first year on campus in 2011, King made three starts and caught nine passes for 125 yards and one touchdown as a redshirt freshman. In total, he finished his Maryland career with 45 catches for 575 yards and five scores.


“I am appreciative of everything Nigel was able to accomplish at the University of Maryland and very proud that he earned his degree,” said head coach Randy Edsall. “I wish him the best in his future endeavors.”


King was a three-star recruit coming out of Oak Ridge Military Academy in 2011. He chose Maryland over offers from LSU, North Carolina, South Carolina, West Virginia and others.


For more Maryland news, visit TerrapinSportsReport.com.


- - - - - - -


Sam Cooper is a contributor for the Yahoo Sports blogs. Have a tip? Email him or follow him on Twitter!


Follow @SamDCooper


From Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo Sports - Maryland junior wideout Nigel King opts to transfer


No comments:

Post a Comment

College Stuff for Real Men - Recent Posts