Wednesday, March 11, 2015

LSU QBs Harris and Jennings know they need to improve in 2015



LSU QBs Brandon Harris and Anthony Jennings know they need to play better in 2015. Though playing much worse would be tough to do.


While Jennings got most of the run at quarterback in 2015, the pair combined to complete less than 50 percent of their passes for just 2,063 yards. As a team, the Tigers were 114th in the country in passing and averaged 163 yards per game. LSU was the worst passing team in the SEC.


While freshman RB Leonard Fournette broke out as the season went on, the lack of a downfield passing threat hindered LSU's rushing attack. With Fournette back to lead the rushing attack, LSU's chances of swiping the West from Alabama and also staying ahead of a reloaded Auburn and a rebuilt Texas A&M team hinge again on its quarterback play.


"I wasn't good enough last year, plain and simple," Jennings said via NOLA.com. "I have to get better. We have to get better as a unit. I'm not surprised they're talking about it.


"It's going to push me to do more things. I like everybody talking about it. It's going to make me better, Brandon better, [incoming freshman] Justin [McMillan] better. As the team is getting better we'll use that as fuel."


After a quarterback battle that, at least publicly, went up to the week before the season-opening game against WIsconsin in 2014, the two are in the same situation entering 2015. Each has an opportunity to win the starting job.


Jennings initially won it in 2014 and Harris got an opportunity to start against Auburn after he was 11-14 passing for three touchdowns against New Mexico State. The Auburn game was a disaster. Harris was 3-14 passing for 58 yards.


Harris didn't play in the last three games of 2014 and in January, his high school coach said in a radio interview that he advised his former QB to leave LSU. Instead, Harris stuck it out and has a shot to start again. Maybe this time LSU coach Les Miles will pick a starter based on one's excellence.


"Last year I would be the first one to tell you I didn't know the ins and outs of things I needed to know," Harris said. "Now, going into my second spring, I'm so much more comfortable getting on the same page. I'm not having to have anybody tell me, the right tackle, I've called the wrong play or this and that. I'm more comfortable.


"I played a lot as a true freshman, which is unheard of at quarterback here. I'm looking forward to the spring, continuing to grow mentally and physically and just mentally as a person becoming a better leader."


For more LSU news, visit Tigerbait.com.


- - - - - - -


Nick Bromberg is the assistant editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at nickbromberg@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter!



From Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo Sports - LSU QBs Harris and Jennings know they need to improve in 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment

College Stuff for Real Men - Recent Posts