Monday, February 9, 2015

Eastern Washington QB Vernon Adams says he's transferring to Oregon



FILE - In this Sept. 6, 2014, file photo, Eastern Washington quarterback Vernon Adams Jr. throws against Washington Huskies in the second half. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson, File) Vernon Adams will play his final season of college football at Oregon.


Adams, a star quarterback who set records at FCS Eastern Washington, announced the move Monday on Instagram. He also reportedly fielded interest from Texas and UCLA.


“Oregon it is!” Adams wrote on an Instagram post that accompanied the Oregon logo. “First off, I want to thank God for this amazing opportunity. I want to thank all of Eagle Nation for all the love and support. Want to thank every single one of my teammates for pushing me to be a better man/athlete everyday these past 4 years.


"Definitely want to thank Coach B (EWU coach Beau Baldwin), the coaching staff, and the everybody upstairs who has something to do with my success. Thank you Coach B for being the first school to ever offer me, you'll always be a good friend of mine. I also want to thank all the other athletes and coaching staffs here at EWU for all the love & support. I'm going to love & miss y’all forever Cheney/Spokane but I have to do what I think is best for me and my family. All love. GOD BLESS.”


Adams recently finished his redshirt junior season at Eastern Washington and visited Oregon’s campus in Eugene two weekends ago. According to DuckSportsAuthority.com, the coaching staff told Adams during his visit that he would have every opportunity to compete for the starting quarterback position vacated by Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota.


“I’m not going there to be a walk-on or a second-stringer,” Adams told the Spokane Spokesman-Review before his visit. “But if I do go down there, I’m going to work my butt off.”


In his three seasons as starter at Eastern Washington, the 6-foot, 190-pound Adams threw for 10,438 yards and 110 touchdowns while running for 1,232 yards and 11 more scores. Adams finished as the runner-up for the Walter Payton Award, the FCS equivalent of the Heisman, in the past two seasons.


After graduating from EWU in June, Adams will compete for the starting role with junior Jeff Lockie, last season’s backup behind Mariota, sophomores Morgan Mahalak and Ty Griffin and redshirt freshman Taylor Alie. Four-star signee Travis Waller will also enter the mix when he enrolls over the summer.


As a graduate transfer, Adams, who was 35-8 as EWU’s starter, will be eligible to play immediately. Coincidentally, the Ducks open up against Eastern Washington at Autzen Stadium on Sept. 5.


For more Oregon news, visit DuckSportsAuthority.com.


- - - - - - -


Sam Cooper is a contributor for the Yahoo Sports blogs. Have a tip? Email him or follow him on Twitter!


Follow @SamDCooper


From Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo Sports - Eastern Washington QB Vernon Adams says he's transferring to Oregon


No comments:

Post a Comment

College Stuff for Real Men - Recent Posts