Monday, January 5, 2015

Washington's Shaq Thompson will enter NFL Draft



Washington linebacker Shaq Thompson (7) runs for a 57-yard touchdown against Eastern Washington in the first half of an NCAA football game in Seattle. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson, File) Washington’s top defensive player won’t be back next season.


Shaq Thompson, the Huskies’ All-American linebacker, announced Monday that he will forgo his senior season and enter the 2015 NFL Draft. Thompson, who doubled as a running back this season, won the 2014 Paul Hornung Award, given to the nation’s most versatile player in college football.


“After careful prayer and consideration and speaking with my family and Coach Petersen at great lengths, I have decided to declare for the 2015 NFL Draft,” Thompson said in a statement. “This was not an easy decision for me, I love the University of Washington, and everything the U-Dub community has done for me these past three years.


“I personally want to thank Coach Petersen and his staff, Coach Steve Sarkisian who recruited me and gave me this tremendous opportunity; all of my teammates who I love like brothers and have forged lifelong friendships with. And last but certainly not least, our fans and Husky Nation. You guys have been there for us each and every game and this was without a doubt the best place on Earth to play college ball.”


Thompson registered 81 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, one sack and one interception this season. Additionally, Thompson forced three fumbles, recovered four fumbles and scored four touchdowns (three fumble, one interception return) on defense this season.


Thompson excelled on offense as a running back as well. On just 61 carries, he was third on the team with 463 rushing yards – a 7.5 yards per carry average. He also scored twice on the ground and caught four passes for 56 yards.


“I feel that I have accomplished a lot here in these past three years, and I'm so thankful to everyone for helping me achieve my goals,” Thompson said. “Now I'm looking forward to achieving a new set of goals, facing new challenges that come with being in the NFL. I'm excited to start the draft process, the next chapter in my life, but will forever and always be a Husky.”


The 6-foot-1, 228-pound Thompson was a five-star recruit and ranked as the fourth-best player in the country in the class of 2012 by Rivals.com. He started his career as a defensive back and started every game as a true freshman at nickel back in 2012. He had 74 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, and three interceptions that season.


In 2013, Thompson made the transition to linebacker and registered 78 tackles, four tackles for loss and an interception.


"Shaq Thompson has been a wonderful representative of the University of Washington and the Husky football team, and he has our full support as he takes this important step,” said Washington head coach Chris Petersen. “I look forward to what's to come for him and to watching him embark on what will be a long, successful NFL career."


Thompson is widely considered to be a first-round pick. Yahoo’s Eric Edholm projected Thompson to be selected 11th in his first mock draft from last month.


For more Washington news, visit TheDawgReport.com.


- - - - - - -


Sam Cooper is a contributor for the Yahoo Sports blogs. Have a tip? Email him or follow him on Twitter!


Follow @SamDCooper


From Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo Sports - Washington's Shaq Thompson will enter NFL Draft


No comments:

Post a Comment

College Stuff for Real Men - Recent Posts