Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Utah P Tom Hackett says he's simply kicking bacon down the field




Utah's Tom Hackett is a semifinalist for the Ray Guy Award, which is given to the nation's top punter. Hackett is averaging 47.2 yards a punt, which is second in FBS. How is Hackett so successful? Maybe it's because he simply thinks of the football as a food.


The Australian punter was asked Monday about the pressure he faces as a punter. He kicked nine times against Stanford in Utah's 20-17 overtime victory over the Cardinal on Saturday.


"If you go speak to my mate … they’re in pressure situations all the time," Hackett said of members of the offense and defense. "And so for me, I get nine snaps. That’s a lot of snaps. Generally I get five snaps. I’ve got to make the most of them but at the end of the day I’m kicking essentially, pigskin. We eat bacon, so I’m kicking bacon down a field for people’s entertainment. It’s not that big of a deal, I just have a a laugh on the sideline and doing my job. It’s something that’s pretty easy."


We appreciate Hackett's perspective about football, because as awesome as football is, it's not everything. And the bacon comparison is great, though for accuracy's purposes, he's actually kicking more of a hamburger down the field.


For more Utah news, visit UteZone.com


- - - - - - -


Nick Bromberg is the assistant editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at nickbromberg@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter!


Follow @NickBromberg


From Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo Sports - Utah P Tom Hackett says he's simply kicking bacon down the field


No comments:

Post a Comment

College Stuff for Real Men - Recent Posts